How to Get Your Wiscard
Students, faculty, and staff who need a new or replacement ID card must present some form of personal photo identification such as a valid driver's license, passport, state or federal ID.
- Students: New, continuing, or returning students may obtain an ID upon verification of enrollment by the card office staff.
- Faculty/Staff: The Wiscard Office can make a faculty/staff ID card ONLY after the department or school has entered the employee data into the appointment system. It generally takes 1-3 business days for this authorization to appear in the ID database.
- If this is your first ID, the Wiscard Office recommends a faculty/staff person call (608) 262-3258 prior to heading to the Wiscard office to ensure their information appears in the system.
Your first University ID card is issued to you at no cost. This card is valid throughout your entire academic and/or employment career at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. A replacement card can be issued at no cost as long as you surrender your current valid ID at the time the new card is issued. Lost cards can be replaced for a $25 fee. Please click here for card replacement details.
Faculty and Staff ID Proofing and Issuance Process
UW-Madison faculty, staff members or students, may apply for a Wiscard ID, which facilitates access to various university resources. In order to qualify for a Wiscard, you will be asked to present proof of identification, in person, at the Wiscard Office, located in Union South.
- Faculty and staff may be asked to present a valid government issued ID, from the following list:
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Passport Card
- Foreign Passport
- U.S. State or Territory Drivers License
- Federal or State Agency ID Card
- U.S. Military ID Card
- U.S. Military Dependent’s ID Card
- U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Marine Card
If you do not have one of the forms of valid government ID mentioned above, you may alternatively present two forms of ID from the following list. Please note, photocopies of ID are not acceptable.
- High School Yearbook, with picture
- High School Photo ID
- UWHC Photo ID
- Credit Card With Photo
- UW Dorm Agreement
- Lease Agreement
- Social Security Card
- Certified UW Transcript
- Military Discharge DD2214
- Certified Birth Certificate
- Certified Marriage License
After providing acceptable proof of identity, your picture will be taken, and a Wiscard will be issued to you, while you are at the Wiscard Office. You will also receive an email, or alternatively, a letter, confirming the issuance of your new Wiscard. If you experience difficulty using your Wiscard to access university resources, please contact the Wiscard Office for assistance.